Sunday, July 13, 2014

Overnight Oats - Dried Cranberries and Walnuts

This recipe is inspired by one from 100 Days of Real Food. I've always been an oatmeal fan, but this is really nice to just have ready in the morning. Plus, the texture is different with the milk. I like it. I don't make mine in a jar. I just do it in a bowl the night before since that's what I'm eating it out of anyway. I don't need mine to be "on the go". I just cover it with plastic wrap. I do heat mine in the morning in the microwave for 30 seconds so it's not cold. My husband heats his a little longer so it's actually warm/hot. Do what you like. It can also be eaten cold if that's your preference. Also, I halve the recipe for myself (¼ cup oats for me) and do the full recipe for my husband. Do not omit the vanilla. That was my favorite part (and doesn't taste the same with heated oatmeal).

Ingredients

  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (really up to your preference)
  • ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 oz walnuts, chopped (a small handful)

Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients together, except for walnuts.
  2. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of five hours.
  3. Uncover and add chopped walnuts. Heat if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment