|Whole wheat waffles topped with plain yogurt, nectarines, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.|
This recipe comes from the King Arthur Flour recipe website. These are hands-down my favorite waffles. And they're even made with 100% whole wheat flour. I will sometimes double the recipe. That way, if there are leftovers, you can freeze them for another day. Also, I always use butter.
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, butter or oil.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy and that's okay. Do not overmix the batter or it will get tough.
- Cook the waffles as directed by the instructions that came with your waffle iron.